Heat exchangers, Cooling circuits, Piping systems – the variety of our services extends as widely as the different fields of industry because pipes in industrial systems transport a broad range of gases and liquids
All industrial pipes have at least the following things in common:
Scales, biofilms, fouling etc. are formed in the pipes, which decreases the performance of their function. Furthermore the need regular maintenance. Cleaning these, sometimes quite complex, structures requires specific knowledge. We as experts for mechanical cleaning apply our COMPREX® process successfully in industry since years. Before is has been already successfully applied on municipal water pipe systems for two decades.
COMPREX® works entirely without chemical cleaning agents, just based on the physical interaction of water and compressed air.
The cleaning process requires an injection point and an outlet point. At first, a defined section of the pipe network or industrial plant is separated from the rest of the plant by closing valves. Then water is pumped through this section slowly (via the injection and outlet points), resulting in a laminar flow. Then this flow of water is superposed by the addition of pulses of compressed air. This results in alternating packages of air and water, flowing through the section. The compressed packages of air are expanding and thereby accelerating the packages of water to velocities of 10 – 20 m/s.
These highly accelerated packages are inducing strong turbulences and high forces of shear stress. This mobilizes and removes scales and impurities. In order to avoid damages, the maximum pressure is kept below the operational pressure of the plant.
How we adapt out process to your peculiar demands
The COMPREX® process (see picture) can be easily adapted to almost every industrial plant for fluid processing.
How we proceed within a project:
At first we define the sections which should be cleaned as well as the inlet and outlet points. In most cases we can use existing connections for pipes and hoses for that purpose. If these connection point do not exist, the customer has to install them.
Depending on the local conditions and infrastructure, water from the pipe itself of of other pipes next to the section is used. Water and compressed air is inserted via the inlet point. Local supply of electricity is not needed because the COMPREX® trailer works self-sufficiently.
COMPREX® at work
Heat exchangers are designed to transfer thermal energy from one mass flow to another. The lower its heat transfer resistance is, the higher is its efficiency. Impurities and scales (“fouling”) are causing additional resistance to the heat transfer and affects the performance of the heat exchanger.
In this case, it is time for COMPREX®. The cleaning procedure can be adjusted to your peculiar case which enables us to clean both sides of the heat exchanger efficiently. Thus we can decrease the thermal fouling resistance and increase the efficiency of your apparatus significantly. Our process does not require the costly and time consuming dismantling and reinstalling of the apparatus.
• Plate heat exchangers
• Shell and tube heat exchangers
• Spiral heat exchangers
Cooling water in industrial cooling circuits is often taken from wells and still contains corrosion products. That affects hydraulics and heat transfer negatively. In open cooling circuit systems, microorganisms, dust and other particles from the atmosphere are causing additional fouling problems. These drawbacks are practically inavoidable. Therefore, regular maintenance of the cooling circuit pipes is necessary.
COMPREX® allows cleaning in projectable intervals, e.g. during other maintenance work or according to the necessity. In this procedure the main pipes as well as the distribution pipes are cleaned quickly and efficiently. COMPREX® is even able to clean difficultily accessible pipes in open or closed cooling circuits.
Deposits and biofilms are mobilized and discharged from the pipes and even difficultly accessible pipes (e.g. instruments) are cleaned efficiently. Blocks of compressed air cannot get stuck in the pipe and adopt the shape of the plant. Discharges solids are separated in specially designed discharge boxes and are disposed professionally.
• open cooling circuits
• closed cooling circuits
In pipes for water from wells, rivers of for industrial processes, deposits are formed during operation. These deposits consists of mud, biofilms or other solids.
These deposits must be removed because they are narrowing the cross section of the pipe. That leads to decreased performance of the pumps which affects its efficiency.
In pipes of chemical plants, the quality and yield of products is decreased by fouling. Fouling increases the risk of failure of fire-extinguishing installations.
• Pipes for raw water and service water
• Pipes for river water
• Pipes for fire-extinguishing installations
• Pipes for process water
• Pipes for emulsions
• Pipes for wastewater
Benefits for Industry by COMPREX®
• Saving energy
• Improved hydraulic properties due to removal of deposits
• Improved Heat Transfer due to removal of fouling layers in heat exchangers
• No dismantling of the plant required
• Low effort after one-time installation of access points
• Short shutdown times and longer intervals between revision of the plant
• Improved hygienic conditions (legionella, germs)
• Less biocides required for disinfection procedure
• Increased process safety
Practical examples with COMPREX®
Paint system in automobile paint line
• Sediments in pipeline
• Sediments and biofilms from water based pipes
• Decreasing quality of painting
• Microorganisms in paint
• Cleaning possible only during shutdown of plant
• First, COMPREX®-cleaning until turbidities dissappear
• Rinsing with water
• Drying with 4-fold filtered air from COMPREX®-unit
• Wastes of paint can be separated from rinse water
• Thorough removal of sediments, biofilms and microorganisms. Reenabling the function of paint line
Spiral- and plate heat exchanger; cooling with river water
• Sediments of sand, biofilms and mussels
• No pretreatment of cooling water
• No or short shutdown times
• No possibility of offline or chemical cleaning
• Online-cleaning with COMPREX®
• Cleaning of heat exchanger with its connected pipes
• Monitoring and control of temperatures.
• Process water can be used for cleaning
• Priority on energy efficiency
Welded plate heat exchanger: Cooling agent: Glycol
• Sediments of food and cooling agents
• Only mechanical cleaning to avoid contaminations
• No chemical cleaning to avoid corrosion
• Short times of shutdown available for cleaning process
• Cleaning with COMPREX®-process with drinking water
• Cleaning of heat exchanger with its connected pipes
• COMPREX®-cleaning with injection of solids to mobilize harder sediments
• Preventive measurement: Regualr cleaning with COMPREX®-process to avoid harder sediments
• Cleaning with drinking water without additional substances
• Special cleaning technique for food industry
• Priority on hygienic cleaning
• Good heat transfer required for product quality and process stability
Your contact person for industry
Do you have a problem with fouling in industry? Please do not hesitate to contact us. Our specialists will care of your issue. Customers in Germany are serced directly by Hammann GmbH. In some neighbouring countries (France, Netherlands, ..) our services are offered by cooperating companies. Customers in other regions have the possibility to purchase the equipment with a license to perform and offer the COMPREX®-process in their region.
We are looking forward to your request:
industrie |at| hammann-gmbh.de